The Challenge: A continual influx of job applications, work requests, and training needs were handled through Mediated Services, Welfare, JTPA plus other State and Federal programs managed by 25 separate MichWorks! agencies. Each agency was left to their own devices to manage the information related to applicants, employers, and services delivered. Resumes and Job Listings were not integrated with the agency record systems. Agencies were not able to view services provided for their clients at other agencies across the state. Our challenge: join the State of Michigan IT team to deliver a next generation system.
The Solution: In partnership with the Michigan Department of Career Development we built a statewide, Internet-based service that provided the MichWorks! staff members’ access to workforce development information that is multi-tiered and accessible via browsers. The solution was to provide a One-Stop Community System. Special security policies directed appropriate accessibility to staff resources. An reporting infrastructure module was set in place which facilitated easy maintenance and the monitoring and running of new and existing reports. An elaborate migration plan included training and gradual conversion of the 25 offices to the new application.
Results: Some of the specific benefits for the customer were:
- Tight integration between MWA (Workforce Boards) and Employment Service Agency data and operations, in a secure framework.
- Ability to view statewide data across all programs, while rights to edit stays with each MWA. This reduces data redundancy, minimizes or eliminates fraud, and provides a holistic view for every case management, resulting in better customer service.
- Integration with the Job Bank and the Talent Bank allows the actual enforcement of a variety of business rules such as eligibility criteria for participants and for the provision of services.
- Intranet-Internet based system architecture technology dramatically reduces administrative, maintenance and system overhead costs.
- Easy to use interface makes training cost effective and easy.
- Introduction of tight security protocol and auditing procedures allows systems to track all transactions and the staff members who performed them.
- Automation of all Federal 9002 Reports.
- State-of-the-art reporting framework for both pre-defined as well as custom on-line reports.
- Centralized and secure administration of data.